Saturday, August 20, 2011

Flash Forward

All the hairs on my neck raised as I watched the ice crack towards me.  It was too far back to the shore, and I wasn’t any good at skating.  So I got down on all fours and prayed, begged, whatever kind of existence there was beyond this world for help.  I moved myself inch by inch, hearing sickening pops from underneath each of my palms.  I concentrated on each breath, not wanting to move suddenly, but focusing on each breath as if it was my last.

Everything I had promised myself, every piece of my life that had been left undone because I had time, no worries, plenty of time, I was only 26 years old, came bounding through my eyes.  I saw myself skydiving for the first time, feeling weightless while the goggles pressed deep creases into my face, the pullback from the shoot as it opens in the sky above me.  I saw myself horseback riding through a field with some unknown, but beautiful partner, a backpack full of picnic supplies.  I saw myself getting married, watched the ceremony and I never looked happier.  I blinked the tears out of my eyes, as I saw me hiking up to the highest mountain and seeing the beautiful view below.  It was like something beautiful, something out of magazines.  I felt myself breathing in the fresh air.

My hands fell through the ice first.  That was the last thing I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment